This summer, many families will visit indoor and outdoor public pools during swimming season and year-round.
Here are a few simple things to remember:
- Is there a lifeguard at the pool or spa to watch children and adults?
- Are you watching your own child or children when they’re in or around the water?
- Are there water safety rules posted in a visible area for adults and children to review?
- Is there sufficient staff to monitor the pool or spa when it’s in heavy use?
- Is there a charged phone close by at all times
Learning and Practicing Safety Skills
- Do you and your children know how to swim?
- Is the staff trained and certified in first aid and emergency response?
- Do you know how to perform CPR on children and adults? Are those skills updated regularly?
- Do you understand the basics of life-saving, so you can assist in a pool emergency?